Professional Year Programs are primarily designed for students wishing to apply for permanent residency in Australia. They allow students to develop industry-specific skills through study and work experience, preparing them for professional careers in the Australian workforce.
Why should you complete a Professional Year Program?
Completing a Professional Year has a number of benefits:
- You earn valuable work experience in an Australian company through an internship.
- You are able to improve your understanding of the culture and practices within the Australian workplace.
- You learn how to communicate in a professional manner within the Australian workplace.
- You are eligible to receive five extra points on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) ‘points test’ when applying for a Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa.
Who is eligible for a Professional Year Program?
You will need to have completed a degree in accounting, computer science or engineering (or a closely related area) in Australia. You must hold a Skilled — Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485), which allows you to remain in Australia for 18 months after the completion of your degree. To be eligible for this visa you must be under 50 years of age, have completed an eligible qualification within the last six months as a result of at least two years of study in Australia and possess the skills and qualifications required for an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List.
Engineering graduates who completed their degree at a recognised institution outside Australia are also eligible to complete a Professional Year Program in engineering. They must apply for a Skilled — Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476).
Professional Year Program providers and further information
The following Professional Year Programs are recognised by the Australian Government:
- CPA Australia Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA)
- Chartered Accountants Australi and New Zealand Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting
- Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting
- The Australian Computer Society Professional Year Program
- Engineers Australia Professional Year Program